...off to a Flying Start since Sunday 15th August 2010

...off to a Flying Start since Sunday 15th August 2010

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Crude (Live @ Albert's Fest 8th June 2014 @ Tape Projects, Melby)

Albert's Fest on a Sundy, not a normal Sundy mind you but one preceeding Queen Elizabeth's birthday. Not the Lord's day of rest-we'll leave the resting for the rest of the week and pay the price later.....
So there was a whole lot of other stuff happening( of which I shall post later provided I am given the kind permission of  Tasmanian ex-pats Horse Mania....). I am not going to give any sort of run down on the night except that I bought a very nice Mad Nanna tee shirt for only ten bucks and that Michael's distro(Albert's Basement) is worth checking out. I am quite excited about some of the recently issued old N.Z. underock that he is peddling which mega-Label Siltbreeze have put out this year-namely the Spies and Shoes This High.....get them!!-it's easy to preview this stuff before you buy elsewhere on the net so do the finger work if you dare...).
Well, Matt Middleton is an ex-sheepfucker world famous in Dunedin who has a unique sound signature which sits in  it's own world resilient to the de-knobbing effects of New Zealand's overindulgence in "Flying Nun" pride. He has an angular conversation style and might get back to you later on a question raised a long time ago-he's a data processor caged in flesh. His sound is like this and I never quite know what to expect which is why I like it....I remember one gig he did months after the "99 Percent Occupation" on Swanston Street where he ranted down the microphone about not going to the protest and buying Levis jeans instead. I couldn't make the protest either as I had to go to work at a glorified taco stand in order to pay the rent. This was just one moment of the performance and if you caught what he was on about you got the goods....
 This show tonight didn't seem as angularly sci-fi as usual but started off slowly with vocal loops and had his trademark sax against the world honky burpin'....I was a bit blurry at the time and haven't even listened to the recording yet but I do remember towards the end spinning my zoom recorder around to create some sort of stereo effect. Sometimes good things take time to enjoy or understand, it's here so why not give it a toot!

No comments:

Post a Comment